We call upon our years of experience, while also staying up-to-date on emerging issues, including declining groundwater levels and climate change predictions. Our clients include:
- Large and small-scale agricultural operations
- Commercial and residential developers
- Financing sources and investors
- Hydroelectric power producers
- Renewable energy developers
- Recreational businesses
- Non-governmental organizations
Our water law experience covers a broad range of legal services.
TransactionsWe have assisted clients on a variety of transactions involving water law and water rights, including:
- Water rights acquisition
- Purchase, sale, lease, or donation of water rights
- Analysis of water rights, due diligence, title searches, and water rights audits
- Change or modification of water rights
- Mitigation plans and water exchanges
- Easements and other water access issues
- Impact of environmental regulations on water use
- Advisory opinions for new water dependent or water-related businesses
- Waterway ownership disputes
- Mitigation banking
Water Law Litigation
- Agency contested cases
- Water rights adjudication
- Disputes in state and federal courts
Administrative Law/State & Federal Permitting
- Representation in administrative rule making proceedings
- Pre-application consultations
- Permit applications
- Compliance resolution
- Representation in state and federal legislative matters
- Consultation with state and federal legislators, state and federal agency policy representatives, and others within the private and public interest sectors involved in making public policy
Tonkon Torp Wins Water Law and Boundary Dispute for Jackson County Landowner
Tonkon Torp wrapped 2020 with a complete victory in a complicated and contentious boundary and water law dispute.
Acquisition of 540 Acres, Subject to Conservation Easement
Represented the Columbia Land Trust in the acquisition of 540 acres from the Port of Vancouver, USA in the Vancouver Lake Bottomlands, subject to a conservation easement requiring that the land be actively managed to provide a feeding and nesting area for the costal flock of the Pacific Flyway population of Sandhill cranes.
Clean Water Act Violation Defense
Negotiated settlements with third-party citizen-suit claimants under the Clean Water Act.
Water Right Transfers
Represented clients in matters concerning the purchase and sale of water and water rights.
Water Rights Contested Case Defense
Represented hydro-power producers in water rights contested case proceedings before the Oregon Department of Water Resources and appellate courts.
Water Rights Protection
Represented clients in administrative proceedings to secure new and protect existing water rights.