Nonprofits do more than good community work. They are a driving force in today's economy and among the largest employers. Although nonprofit objectives can vary from community activity, healthcare services, trade and consumer associations, to arts and education, many of the same legal issues apply. In recent years, corporate governance issues - previously the domain of profit corporations - have presented new challenges for nonprofit clients.
Tonkon Torp brings together significant expertise in all aspects of business law to successfully handle nonprofit organizations' unique legal matters. Combining our extensive experience in business law with state-of-the-art tax services, we counsel organizations such as private foundations, universities, and public charities. Whether representing a small local agency or national organization, our lawyers' substantive knowledge and experience, combined with our passion for the "independent sector," effectively assists nonprofit clients in meeting their goals.
Through the involvement of our lawyers in over 100 nonprofit organizations, we have provided guidance on the following issues:
- Operations, control, and management
- Business administration and regulatory compliance
- Joint ventures
- Tax planning, compliance and filing
- Lobbying and political activity restrictions
- Wealth planning and charitable giving
- Development and review of planned giving policies
- Labor and employment
- Investment policies
- Real estate, environmental and land use