While water disputes are an age-old legal concern, challenges like declining groundwater levels and climate change predictions are giving rise to new areas of legal need. Our industry experts keep a close eye on recent legal, regulatory and scientific developments to keep our clients well informed.
To support our clients, we offer services including:
- Purchase, sale, lease or donation of water rights
- Analysis of water rights, due diligence, title searches, water rights audits (e.g., purchase and sale, asset valuation, secured financing structures and estate planning)
- Change or modification of water rights
- Mitigation plans and water exchanges
- Easements and other water access issues
- Advisory opinions for new water-dependent or water-related businesses
- Water project development financing
- Waterway ownership disputes
- Litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- Representation in state and federal legislative matters
Tonkon Torp Litigators Win Judgment on Lake Oswego Access Question
A prolonged, high-profile dispute about public access to Oswego Lake was resolved recently when Clackamas County Circuit Court Judge Henry Breithaupt issued an opinion upholding the City of Lake Oswego’s right to control access to the lake from the City’s public park.