By Olivia Hariharan Godt
The EEOC has released an updated poster that employers should post as soon as possible. It can be found here: “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” Poster.
- When should an employer post? Employers should post immediately. Although there is no official deadline, the EEOC warned that employers should post “within a reasonable amount of time.”
- Where should an employer post? The poster should be hung in a conspicuous place, such as a breakroom. If your workforce is remote, the poster must be available online. The best practice for all employers is to post online and in a conspicuous, physical location.
- What is new? The new poster is largely the same as the previous “Equal Opportunity is the Law poster.” But, it:
- uses more straightforward language and formatting
- provides a QR code for workers to access EEOC resources
- explains that sex discrimination includes pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity discrimination
- explains that harassment is prohibited discrimination
- provides information about equal pay discrimination for federal contractors
Please note that the EEOC uploaded one version of this new poster on October 19, 2022, then released an updated version a day later on October 20, 2022. Employers should be sure they are using the October 20, 2022 version. The date is listed in the bottom, right-hand corner of Page 3 of the poster.
This update is prepared for the general information of our clients and friends. It should not be regarded as legal advice. If you have questions about the issues raised here, please contact any of the attorneys in our Labor & Employment Practice Group, or the attorney with whom you normally consult.