Tonkon Torp's lawyers have substantial expertise and depth in litigating real estate disputes of all kinds. We have successfully litigated numerous real estate cases in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings. We represent clients in the wide range of disputes that often arise in connection with real estate matters, including the following:
- Commercial leasing disputes and eviction proceedings
- Specific performance of land sale contracts
- Boundary issues, encroachments, adverse possession, timber trespass and quiet title cases
- Foreclosures and liens
- Condemnation proceedings
Representative Real Estate Litigation Matters
Examples of Tonkon Torp real estate litigation experience include the following:
- Represented property developer in an action against its anchor tenant, after the tenant defaulted on a substantial lease which had provided the basis for $25 million in building renovation financing. The matter settled shortly before trial for a substantial recovery. In related cases, we defended the owner against numerous construction lien claims and the lender's foreclosure proceeding.
- Represented a building owner in a declaratory judgment action to determine ownership and rights to advertising space located on an old remnant wall. This case involved historical research, expert forensic engineering, and boundary, trespass and adverse possession issues.
- Defended ranch owner in eminent domain proceedings brought by local municipality to establish a waste water pipeline through the ranch. The condemnation taking consisted of temporary and permanent easements for construction and operation of the pipeline. The matter settled shortly before trial, for over 10 times more than the municipality's original offer and with greatly improved engineering and safety requirements to benefit the client property owner.
- Represented a warehouse owner in eminent domain proceedings brought by Tri-Met in connection with the Milwaukie Light Rail project. Obtained favorable settlement for client.
Real Estate & Land Use transactional practice
Our Real Estate & Land Use attorneys have decades of experience helping landowners, developers, builders, investors, tenants and lenders solve problems and achieve their real estate objectives. For more information about our Real Esatte & Land Use practice, click here