Tonkon Torp regularly litigates matters involving financial services, including broker-dealer arbitrations, investment adviser disputes and claims arising from transactions undertaken by investment funds. We have represented both financial service providers and institutional and individual customers in disputes. We represent financial services firms and professionals in connection with enforcement efforts by both governmental and non-governmental regulators.
Our representative matters include:
- Successfully representing a local investment management firm in dispute with a Los Angeles based finance company concerning a structured finance transaction. The opponent sought more than $20 million in compensatory damages plus additional punitive damages, alleging fraud and breach of contract. We successfully prosecuted client's damages claims for more than $1.8 million for breach of contract and non-payment of note obligations.
- Successfully defending in arbitration a local, family-owned securities brokerage against claims of unauthorized and unsuitable trading.
- Successfully resolving a FINRA-initiated complaint against a local broker-dealer accused of violating rules regarding publication of research reports and trading during blackout periods.
- Successfully resolving state regulators' claims of violations against managers of an investment fund related to exemptions from registration and investor accreditation.
- Successfully pursued claims for churning, unsuitability and failure to supervise against a national brokerage firm.
Tonkon Torp also provides comprehensive legal services to institutions, professionals, Investment Advisers, Broker-Dealers, private investment funds and others in the financial services industry. For more information about our non-litigation Financial Services & Investment Management work, click here