Energy and utility companies face an array of legal challenges in the production and delivery of energy to consumers. With regulatory agencies overseeing virtually every aspect of energy and utility business, a legal partner that understands the industry is vital.
Tonkon Torp has significant experience in issues related to energy production, pricing, and distribution. We represent electric utilities, independent power producers, developers, lenders, and cogenerators. We also represent clients in power purchase agreements and in the development, financing, sale and operation of renewable energy sources, including wind energy projects.
On behalf of our clients, we appear before the public utilities commissions of Oregon and Washington; the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; the Bonneville Power Administration; local boards, and state and federal courts.
We combine our industry expertise with expertise in multiple areas of law to advise energy industry clients on matters including:
- Generation, transmission, and distribution
- Development, construction, financing, and operations
- Economic regulation
- Deregulation and open access
- Mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
- Facility siting and safety
- Permitting and certificates
- Franchises and contracting
- Real estate
- Environmental and land use, including air permitting and waste-energy issues
- Coal and gas supply contracts
- Labor and employment matters
- Corporate governance